I remembered how we were always reprimanded for playing with candles, how we were threatened by parental statements such as, "Babalisawsawin kayo dyan! (You'll get polyuria for that! - or fire pee, according to one online translator)" or "Para sa mga patay 'yan! Hayaan nyo na lang yan! (Those are for the departed ones! Leave it as it is)" But we were young and we see this as an adventure so off we continue scalding our fingers until we get satisfied with our obra maestra. I remembered making a 'bomb' model using an inch of candle as the bomb's wick. I always think it was cool. I also made a 'Shukaku' model complete with the bamboo hat and all.
Back when I was a college freshman, I was filled - brimming even - with UP pride (you know, kids these days just jump around knowing that they passed the UPCAT, not knowing how much sacrifice they need to do to actually survive and graduate from the institution. Ugh.) so come All Saints Day 2009, I made an Oblation wax dripping sculpture (see picture below).
![]() |
| Should have bought white cartolina rather than tape together pieces of bond paper. O Younger Me, how naive of you. |
![]() |
| Jacket, SWIDT? |
This year, I return to my position in front of the burning candles and the dripping wax to form another piece of art (or paperweight). This time, I made models of the heart and the brain, complete with the aorta, superior vena cava and the (anatomically incorrect) coronary arteries for the brain; and the Circle of Willis for the brain. I was aiming to put a corpus callosum and a pineal gland in between the brain hemispheres but I also wanted the vasculature, and the Circle prevailed!
So what will it be next year?



Ang GC e. Kahit sa sementeryo. Kung ako yan gagawa na lang ako ng kandila ulet!!!
ReplyDeleteCandle-ception! Eh. Next Undas, ibang body organ naman!!! Hahahahaha
ReplyDelete