Sunday, June 23, 2013

Serious Sundays: Know. Love. Serve.

Knowing is a prerequisite of loving and serving.

These wise words of the pastor this morning that broke my slumber (yes, I sleep in Mass and that is something that I am not proud of but I placed it here for a reason). This certain pastor, who is fond of singing, is one of the few priests who pique my interests during their sermons. Aside from giving witty introductions in the form of teleserye updates in his homilies, he also finds a way to show how much he loves singing and uses this to honor Him. So back to my point: his sermon this morning reverberates one of the reasons why I am still in the perpetual search of spiritual stability. 

You have to know Him before you can learn to love Him. You have to know Him before you can serve Him.

Again, with his good public speaking skills, he related this to love at first sight and  how untrue this concept of love is. Seeing someone for the first time and sparks just start to fly around? I sense you felt that feeling at least once. I guess Love is one messy feeling you don't want to trifle with. He added, "You can't love the person if you don't fully know him/her. Let alone serve the person and give up your life to his/her service."

Well, that connection to love is actually a side note to what I really want to say. I would like to throw this conundrum of knowing-loving-serving to our top officials in the Church. That is, now that they are in His service, do they truly love Him, let alone know Him that well? I don't want to generalize this to our clergy, a disclaimer before hate-comments start to pour in. 

(I really need to write entries under 10 minutes to prevent my short-attention spanned brain from moving to and fro. See the incoherence in this post? It's worse than mixed nuts! Ugh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment