Sunday, July 14, 2013

Serious Sundays: Wounds that run deep

There are just some wounds that run so deep that the remnant scar still reminds you of the hurt that it once caused you. 

And that is pre-Googled statement of mine! I never thought I would have a chance to post another 'Serious Sunday' post in my blog after that nut-mix of an entry. And this is deeply inspired by a simple accident while I was washing my dishes.

I used to like this tall glass. It's so columnar. So glassy. So...perfect and I have preference for this glass over other mugs, cups and glassware in our house. But this afternoon, while happily pouring myself a glass of iced tea in this specific glass, I saw a crack running along its smooth surface. It's already half-full with the drink but I continued to fill it up to the brim, thinking that this may be the last time that I can use this. I drank the iced tea with such sweet-bitterness because this is the last time I might be drinking my favorite drink from my favorite glass. True enough, while I was washing it, the cracked edge cut me. It wasn't a pleasant farewell.

Then I remembered being so deeply cut by an ampule when I had a shards-related encounter with it. I was preparing my medications in the medication area and as I was opening the ampule of the diluent, it broke into a thousand shimmering shards. Ok, not a thousand and not shimmering but they were shards that were too jagged to prick you and make you bleed so bad that a couple of minutes of putting pressure is not enough. After that accident, I always have a nagging fear of opening ampules, even the small narcotic ampule ones. It placed me in a state of fright that will only present itself when placed in a situation that warrants it. 

These two incidents, both including cuts, show that there are certain things that stick with us no matter how trivial they may be to other people. A cut, a deep gash or an unpleasant farewell. There are just some things that run deep beyond what the eyes can see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment